Ontario Supporting Kitchener Hospitals During COVID-19

Published on September 10, 2021

Additional Investment will Help Grand River Hospital and St Mary’s General Hospital Continue to Provide High Quality Care to Patients

NEWS                                                                                                                     September 10, 2021

To help strengthen the financial stability of public hospitals across the province, the Ontario government is providing up to $696.6 million this year to help cover historic working funds deficits of qualifying hospitals, with a focus on small, medium as well as specialty and rehabilitation hospitals. This includes over $8 million for St. Mary’s General Hospital and nearly $10 million for Grand River Hospital.

 

“Our government has been clear that we will use every tool at our disposal to support our hospitals. St. Mary’s and Grand River are pillars of our health care system here in Waterloo Region, providing high quality care to local residents and this $18 million will ensure that care continues and can be expanded now and into the future,” said Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Mike Harris.

 

This funding is a part of the over $1.2 billion investment previously announced to help hospitals recover from financial pressures created and worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic, while ensuring they can continue providing the high-quality care Ontarians need and deserve. This funding will also help to ensure that Ontario’s hospitals are able to respond to any scenario as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves.

 

Many Ontario hospitals are struggling with annual funding deficits which have been exacerbated by the pandemic. To ensure Ontario's hospitals remain on stable financial footing at a critical time, the government is allocating this funding to help cover historic working funds deficits for qualifying public hospitals

 

“Ontario’s hospitals have been on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic and our government is using every tool at our disposal to support them,” said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “This funding will ensure Ontario's hospitals can continue to provide high-quality care to all Ontarians and that our hospital system is ready to respond to any scenario this fall.”

 

Since the onset of the pandemic, Ontario has been working with its hospital partners to create unprecedented capacity and prepare to respond to any scenario. The government remains committed to supporting hospitals so that they can continue to care for Ontarians today and in the future.

 

“This fund provided important relief to the many new working capital pressures we’ve experienced as a hospital throughout the pandemic. We are grateful for the additional funding support that allowed St. Mary’s General Hospital to significantly increase our capacity to provide care to patients with COVID, alongside our usual care for the community,” said Lee Fairclough, President St. Mary’s General Hospital.

 

QUICK FACTS

 

  • A working funds deficit occurs when an organization’s current liabilities exceed their current assets. All hospitals that had a working funds deficit in 2019-20 qualified for this funding.
  • As part of a wider, comprehensive surgical recovery plan to provide patients with the care they need, the Ontario government is investing up to $324 million in new funding to enable Ontario’s hospitals and community health sector to perform more surgeries, MRI and CT scans and procedures, including on evenings and weekends.
  • Under the 2021 Budget, Ontario is investing an additional $1.8 billion in the hospital sector in 2021-2022, bringing the total additional investment in hospitals since the start of the pandemic to over $5.1 billion. This includes creating more than 3,100 additional hospital beds to increase capacity and reduce occupancy pressures caused by COVID-19.

 

 

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

 

Visit Ontario’s COVID-19 information website to learn more about how the province continues to protect the people of Ontario from the virus.