Ontario Building New School in BreslauPublished on December 13, 2019
Province Approves Construction of St. Boniface Catholic Elementary School
October 18, 2019
The Ford government is protecting what matters most by investing in new local schools and ensuring our students have the skills they need to succeed in Waterloo Region.
The province has given Waterloo Catholic District School Board approval to tender a new St. Boniface Catholic Elementary School. The $11.4M investment will include 257 new elementary student spaces and provide a new, quality learning environment for the students of Breslau. This project is part of the province’s capital investment program to support students with better learning spaces.
“Funding for this new school is great news for the growing community of Breslau and Woolwich Township,” said Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Mike Harris. “From day one I heard loud and clear from parents that they were frustrated by years of inaction on this project, I’m glad our government moved quickly to provide a quality learning environment and new opportunities for local children.”
“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential,” said Education Minister Stephen Lecce. “Our financing of the new St. Boniface Catholic Elementary School further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in Ontario’s schools and our overall commitment to supporting our students and families.”
“We are thrilled to receive the news that we can now proceed with our new Breslau school, said Waterloo Region Catholic District School Board Director of Education Loretta Notten. “The community has eagerly awaited this project for some years and we know that it will serve the staff, students, parents and all who learn and gather at St Boniface for many years to come, just as our previous building has all these many years. We are excited to see the project take flight and eagerly anticipate the day we can walk through the new doors of St Boniface.”
St. Boniface will be located on Starlight Avenue, Breslau.
- The Ontario Government is protecting what matters most by working with school board partners to invest in capital projects that advance student learning.
- The Ontario Government announced in Budget 2019 that over the next ten years, Ontario is investing nearly $13 billion in capital grants, including allocating over $500M this year alone to for new schools, additions and major renovations.
- This massive investment will build new schools and help existing schools after a decade of Liberal closures and maintenance backlog.
- Ontario is also providing school boards with a historic $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
- This funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install important accessibility features like elevators and ramps.