More Funding for Toronto Police in Response to Gun ViolencePublished on
Province invests $3 million in Closed Circuit Cameras for Police
August 23, 2019 9:00 A.M. Office of the Premier
TORONTO — Today, Premier Doug Ford joined Mayor John Tory to announce funding for new closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras to help police respond to Toronto's recent episodes of gun violence. This investment by the Ontario government will more than double the number of cameras currently operated by the Toronto Police Service.
The new funding is in addition to the commitment made last week by the Government of Ontario to support the Toronto Police Service's recently announced Project Community Space. This 11-week initiative will put more police officers on the ground in surge areas to increase the safety of Toronto neighbourhoods where recent episodes of gun violence have occurred.
"Our government is taking the necessary steps to protect law-abiding citizens and keep violent criminals off our streets," said Premier Ford. "This investment will give the Toronto Police Service the tools they need to fight gun and gang violence in Toronto and put violent criminals behind bars - where they belong. I want to thank Mayor Tory, Chief Saunders, and the officers on the ground for their tireless efforts to keep people safe."
Ontario is investing $28 million over four years in the fight against guns and gangs in Toronto. In addition to the $28 million invested in Toronto over four years, the Ontario government has also launched a province-wide strategy to curb gun crime and dismantle gangs once and for all.
The government is further committed to strengthening relationships between police officers and the communities they serve. That's why Ontario passed the Comprehensive Ontario Police Services Act, 2019 to fix the province's broken police legislation. The government also ensured officers are not subject to an automatic investigation when they unsuccessfully attempt to save a life with naloxone.
"CCTV cameras will directly help the Toronto Police combat gun and gang violence in our city, and I thank the province for their investment in the resources required to find those inflicting gun violence and hold them accountable," said Mayor John Tory. "Today's announcement is one of the many ways we are working together to keep our streets and communities safe for everyone."
The cameras will act as both a deterrent to crime and aid law enforcement to ensure that dangerous criminals responsible for gun and gang violence are promptly brought to justice.
- The $3 million investment will increase Toronto’s CCTV system from 34 cameras to 74. This year, $2 million will be spent on the infrastructure, while $500,000 will be spent the following two years to support ongoing operational costs.
- In March, 2019 the Ontario government announced $16.4 million over two years to combat guns and gangs by combining enforcement, intervention and prevention initiatives for at-risk populations.