Joint Statement from MPP Mike Harris, MPP Amy Fee, and MPP Belinda KarahaliosPublished on March 02, 2020
On Ontario’s investment in Waterloo Region research and economic growth
February 28, 2020
Today, we were excited to join the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University at the University of Waterloo’s School of Pharmacy in Kitchener to announce over $3.8 million for 33 local research projects.
The Ontario government is investing close to $38 million in 183 research projects across the province through the Ontario Research Fund. This funding is in addition to the $41 million announced last September, $3.2 million to local post-secondary institutions.
This significant investment in our local researchers is essential for driving science and new technology development for commercial application, creating good jobs, making our businesses more competitive, and achieving a higher quality of life.
Our government is creating a positive environment to start and grow a business, invest, and create jobs. As a result, employment in Ontario has increased by over 300,000 since June 2018, representing over half of all employment gains in Canada.
“Laurier researchers tackle some of the most complex issues facing our society today. This funding will directly support and enhance our studies of the brain, the effects of climate change on Arctic lake ice, green buildings and big data in policing. We are grateful to the Government of Ontario for this substantial investment in Laurier’s world-class research.”
- Jonathan Newman, Vice President: Research, Wilfrid Laurier University
“Researchers at the University of Waterloo are driving tremendous impact through transformational research and innovation. Waterloo’s focus on excellence and industry collaboration also means that our researchers work alongside local companies to spur economic development in Waterloo Region and across Ontario. I’d like to thank the Government of Ontario for their support which allows Waterloo researchers to turn breakthroughs into tangible benefits for all Ontarians.”
– Sandra Banks, Vice-President, University Relations, University of Waterloo
- Through the Ontario Research Fund, the University of Waterloo is receiving $3,570,565 for 29 projects and Wilfrid Laurier University is receiving $246,996 for 4 projects.
- Research projects were selected for funding through a rigorous and competitive peer review process.
- The Ontario Research Fund - Small Infrastructure provides research institutions with funding to help support infrastructure needs, such as acquiring research equipment.
- Ontario Research Fund - College-Industry Innovation program helps cover the costs of building, renovating and equipping research facilities to promote college-industry partnerships.
- The Early Researcher Awards help early career researchers build their research teams.
- Matthew Stubbings, Office of MPP Mike Harris, 519-669-2090, firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Kuhn, Office of MPP Belinda Karahalios, 519-897-5685, email@example.com
- Carol-Ann Breton, Office of MPP Amy Fee, 519-650-9413, firstname.lastname@example.org